Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Flight

hi all! I am in the airport right now waiting to get on my (last for a while, thank goodness) flight to my university. I came into Australia three days ago, after almost missing my flight out of San Francisco because American Airlines is incompetent (they didn't even apologize! and who doesn't serve a meal on a 6 hour flight at dinner time? Qantas gave me a meal on a 3 hour flight that only went to 12:30). But anyway, after a mad dash through the airport I wound up getting upgraded to business class, which was pretty sweet for a 14 hour flight. Actually it was unbelievable. My chair folded out to a bed and they gave me all kinds of things like pajamas (??) and playing cards, and they kept coming by to be nice to me and give me things. I rocked out to Mika the whole way, we could listen to the whole album on the plane's entertainment system and it is GREAT. I recommend it. I also watched the bucket list, which was depressing, and the wizard of oz. The downside of almost missing my flight was that my luggage didn't make the transfer, so it was delayed for about a day and a half, but it wasn't too big of a bother because australearn warned us to pack a change of clothes and toiletries in our carryon. Plus, Qantas (who continues to demonstrate ways to be an awesome airline) gave me $100 cash for emergency expenses, which I used to pay for my scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef ($70). I don't really have time to tell that story now, so my Australearn Orientation stories (the reef and the rainforest) will come in my next entry.

4 comments:

sammer said...

I cannot believe that you went scuba diving! thats awesome. thats so funny they give you pajamas and stuff. it sounds like an awesome time already. ps, i dont like the mika cd all that much, only a select few songs. maybe ill give it another chance.
im glad you didnt miss your flight out of san francisco. did you see stephan jenkins?

Dolores Griffin said...

Business class to Australia??? That's quite an upgrade! It sounds like things are off to a great start :)

Bethany said...

Gosh. You make me want to leave for study abroad immediately if not sooner. Have fun!

Kate said...

dolores, business class was great. bethany, study abroad is great. and sam, my favorite mika song was lollipop and i am sad to report i didn't see stephan jenkins. maybe on the way home?